EPSYOs Concerto Competition 2012-2013
Monday, January 21, 2013
The El Paso Symphony Youth Orchestras (EPSYOs) announces its annual Concerto Competition to be held on Monday, January 21, 2013. The competition is open to all young musicians who live in the El Paso region (within 60 miles of El Paso) and all current EPSYOs members 2nd grade through college undergraduate.
For a printable application and information sheet, please click HERE
Grand Prize - One (1) winner will be selected to perform with the El Paso Symphony Orchestra on the Side by Side Concert on March 17, 2013 at the Plaza Theatre.
EPSYOs Prize - One (1) current EPSYOs student will be selected to perform with one of the EPSYOs orchestras at either the 2011-2012 Finale Concert on May 12, 2012 or another predetermined concert.
- You must be a EPSYOs member, OR enrolled in your school music program (if available for your instrument)
- You are in 2nd grade through college undergraduate
- Previous winners are not eligible to compete on the same instrument for the same prize(s) s/he has already won
- Complete application form online (preferred) at www.epsyos.org, or mail application form to: EPSYOs, PO Box 180, 79942.
- Application must be received by Wednesday, January 9, 2013.
- Enclose a $35 application fee. Fee is waived for current EPSYOs members.
- All applicants will be notified of their audition time and location by email on or before Tuesday, January 15, 2013. Applicants and accompanists should plan to be available from 10:30PM – 5:00PM on the day of the competition.
- Selection must be not less than 5 minutes and not more than 15 minutes for solo instrument(s) and orchestra.
- Selection may be a movement or combination of movements, but must be complete.
- Repertoire is subject to the approval of the EPSYOs Music Director who will consider instrumentation, difficulty of accompaniment and availability and cost of orchestral parts. If the selection is considered inappropriate for the competition, another selection may be suggested. Any questions about repertoire should be emailed to: email@example.com.
OTHER RULES and INFORMATION
- There are no instrument or age divisions. All applicants will compete against each other.
- Applicants must perform with piano accompaniment. Applicants are responsible for bringing their own accompanist.
- Applicants will be judged solely on their performance in the competition.
- Applicants will not be judged on the difficulty of their selection.
- Applicants are encouraged, but not required, to perform by memory.
- Applicants must provide three (3) copies (photocopies allowed) of the orchestra score or piano accompaniment for the judges.
- Applicants and accompanists should arrive for the competition at least 15 minutes early. Late arrival for the competition will result in forfeit of audition.
- Adjudication forms will be available following the announcement results upon request.
- Announcement of the winners will take place at the end of the day on January 21, 2013.
- Applicants will be considered for all prizes for which they are eligible.
- If selected, the Grand Prize winner must be available to attend rehearsals on March 13 & 15, 2013 between 7:00PM – 9:30PM.
- The competition is not open to the public.
- The judges are not required to name any winners.
- The EPSYOs Music Director will be available for consultation, if necessary, but will not be part of the adjudication committee.