All students between the ages of 8 and 22 are eligible to apply for membership. Students in elementary, middle, or high school must be enrolled in their school's instrumental music program (if available). Students in college are strongly encouraged to be enrolled in their school's instrumental music program. Membership and placement will be determined by audition.
2 Important Principles:
- All secondary and elementary schools students must participate in their school orchestra or band, if available.
- No member will be denied participation because of financial reasons. Every member will get the financial aid he or she needs. College students automatically receive Advanced Study Scholarship equal to half tuition. Full Leadership Scholarships are available for college students by competitive application.
- El Paso Youth Orchestra (EPYO): Full orchestra for the most advanced string, wind, brass, and percussion players (typically high school and college students). May perform on special events in addition to EPSYOs concerts. EPYO rehearses on Sundays from 4:00 - 7:00PM. Tuition for the 2016-2017 season is $444.
- El Paso Youth Symphony (EPYS): Full orchestra for intermediate string, wind, brass, and percussion players (typically upper middle school and high school students). EPYS Rehearses on Sundays from 1:00 - 3:30PM. Tuition for the 2016-2017 season is $394.
- El Paso Youth String Ensemble (EPYSE): Strings-only ensemble for advanced beginning and intermediate string players with some orchestra experience (typically upper middle school and high school students). EPYSE rehearses on Saturdays from 3:00 - 5:30PM. Tuition for the 2016-2017 season is $344.
- El Paso Youth String Philharmonic (EPYSP): Strings-only ensembles for beginning string players with limited orchestral experience (typically in elementary and middle school). EPYSE rehearses on Saturdays from 2:00 - 4:00PM. Tuition for the 2016-2017 season is $344.
All ensembles hold regular sectionals in addition to full ensemble rehearsals to allow members to work in small groups with a trained EPSYOs staff member or guest artist. These small sectionals focus on both technique and the current ensemble repertoire to help enhance the skills currently being taught in the schools and in private lessons.